It seems like we've spent so much time talking about and working on facia. I'm kind of sick of it. Faaaaaaaacia. Ugh.
So, I last left off posting that we exchanged out our original facia for 2x4s, which made it stick out farther from the sheathing. Next, we needed to make sure we added air gaps that would allow air to flow up and under the exterior facia and into the air gap under the roof sheathing (and above the insulation). To do this, we cut up those initial facia boards into 2-3 inch blocks and screwed them to the top along the 2x4s, as seen below.
Next, we stapled mesh screen over the block and across the whole from and back of the top of the house to keep bugs from getting up into the roof air gap.
After cutting the ends at 45 degree angles, we put up the exterior facia over the mesh screen so that the roof sheathing would meet up with the top of the facia.
Getting the angles for the short sides of the house right was really tricky. We basically just eyeballed it and cut some scrap boards over and over until we got the angles to fit right. Once again, super scientific and mathematical.
Next up, roof sheathing!