Adding the lofts really aided in the installation of the roof joists. We made sure the house was square before beginning. Having a good template for the notches at each end of the joists was critical in making sure every board was cut to the right length and angle. It turned out that it was easier on by brain for me to just make a bunch of cuts on one board until we got the angles just right, rather than measuring with protractors and doing a bunch of trigonometry. It's not an exact science, but trial and error seems to be my favorite way of doing things. Maybe someday I'll learn?
It tooks us a few hours to get all the boards cut to size. I was in charge of getting the angles on the very ends of each joist to be flush with the outside edges of the house, as well as correcting the length. Then Dad and Nick would use the sawzall** to cut the notches on each end. These notches enabled the joists to sit about two inches above the top plate of the house.
**SIDENOTE: Having never seen the word spelled until about a month ago, for my whole life I've been pronouncing it as "saw-zah". But, as I'm sure you all know, it's really "saws-all", which makes a hell of a lot more sense, given the function of the tool.
The joists went up fairly quickly after we got them all cut. We made sure they were all the right distance apart between the wall and that they were square. Then we screwed them down and added galvanized joist hangers. These got a bit tricky, as it was difficult to get the hammer between the joists to nail them. (This led to a few smashed fingers, Nick's being the worst I've seen, the poor guy. I can't believe he's STILL helping me build, too!)
Next up, facia board and sheathing!