It's finally happening! After what has seemed like FOREVER (thanks to the crappy weather and my own procrastination), we've finally started working on the house again. One sunny Sunday, while complaining to my dad about the stagnation of progress on my tiny house, he said, "Let's just raise the walls now then. We can probably knock it out in like an hour or two." Whaaaat?! So we quickly got the many layers of tarp and plastic off the walls that had been stacked on top of the trailer, and I proceeded to run around knocking on the doors of my strongest and most helpful neighbors. Daryl and Janice Turner, as well as Roy (who is always game to take on the role of Site Manager) responded to my call for help.
We raised the back wall first and supported it with a few 2x4s, then pulled the wall on the right up from it's resting place against the shed.
The front wall was quite a bit more difficult to maneuver due to it's weight and the position we had it in on the trailer. We ended up having to flip it a few different directions in order to get it positioned correctly, and the fact that it was all in one solid piece didn't help it's portability. But in the end, and with the additional help of my neighbors, we finally got it standing up in the right spot!
Once we got all the walls up, we realized that we didn't put a second top plate on any of them, so we had to go around and add another layer of 2x4s along the tops of each wall. It was soooo time consuming and frustrating, since many of the 2x4s were a bit warped and didn't fit right unless someone pulled or pushed it while someone else secured it with screws.
Next, to further secure the frame to the trailer, we fastened Simpson Strong Tie HTT5 Tension Ties to each corner of the frame and on either side of the wheel wells. These tension ties nail into the frame and then bolt through the frame, subfloor, and trailer flange, ensuring a strong hold to the trailer.
We also decided to use steel strapping at angles around each corner of the frame to prevent racking. This has been great and created a noticeable difference in the structural soundness of the frame, except for the fact that we started by nailing one end of the strapping, and then tightening it to the next stud and nailing, and tightening it to the next stud and nailing, and going on and on like that until we finally noticed that all we were doing was bowing each stud in the direction we were tightening the strapping each time. We ended up having to pull the nails out of the studs between the two ends of each steel strap, straightening out the studs, and then nailing the strapping back to them. Another frustrating mistake, but luckily not one that took too long to fix.
Well we finally got all the walls up, secured, and strapped together/down! Next step, loft joists!